27 March 2008

rock hounding

Apparently, that's what it's called when you go looking for rocks. Monday we went to Topaz Mountain, UT (southwest of Provo) to look for, you guessed it, topaz. Then we went a few miles away and found some obsidian, and then again to another site to find some butterscotch jasper. Jack refused to go (it was going to be a LONG drive). So I took Sam, Charlie, Luke, and my niece Katie. We met up with some other rock hound friends when we got there.

topaz

obsidian and butterscotch jasper

The boys loved it. They didn't find any topaz at the first place (mostly because they climbed all over the rocks and didn't really look for any). When we got back to the car Charlie said, "that was really fun!" At the next place, Sam dug 2 holes and filled up his bucket with sand that he tried to bring home. They didn't care about the rocks, they just liked climbing all over and eating licorice.






5 comments:

alysha said...

fun! I can't wait to do stuff like this with my kid. My first step though is to get him to stop putting rocks in his mouth.

sara said...

Fun! So many posts in one day -- all great ones though. Your pictures are just great. The boys are so dapper in their Easter duds. The daffodils are lovely. I can't believe it's still snowing there; here we've turned on the AC and are counting down the weeks until the pool's warm enough to swim in...

Casey said...

I actually remember my mom taking us fossil hunting for trilobites somewhere in the Utah desert and it was really dry and hot and I don't think we even found any. but i'm sure we had fun. Mom's are so cool.

polka dots said...

Looks like fun! Love how climbing and collecting buckets of sand was the highlight for a few of your rock hunters. Such boys.

Peggy said...

Yes, we all went looking for trilobites in Delta Utah all meaning me and about 10 kids--what was I thinking--we never saw any trilobites but we sure had fun trying...the only scary part was almost getting the van stuck in the sand and seeing an old animal skeleton and then wondering who would come and rescue us and that is when I decided to turn around and get ice cream cones!! I love all your pictures of the kids...I think that the baby looks like your dad! They all have those great cheeks you want to squeeze! Have fun at your girls spa week!