03 December 2009

making stuff

I've been a bit absent lately due to 1. still being sick (it's been about a month with some sort of cold that keeps morphing - I think it may be almost over) and 2. making lots of stuff, which I cannot yet show you as it's all for people who read this blog and I'd like them to see it in real life first.



BUT I did buy 18 half pints of cream at the store the other day because it was 30 cents a piece (so less than $6 for 9 pints total). I couldn't pass it up, I had a hard time limiting it to 18! Now I'm not quite sure what to do with that much cream. I will be making some caramels and some ice cream. If you have a great way to use cream - please let me know in the comments! I wish I could send you all ice cream!


I've also been trying to create space in my freezer. I had peaches and strawberries from the summer in there - just waiting for the winter to make some jam with. It's nicer to make jam in the winter because it's so hot in the summer with all that boiling water. So I made the peach jam last week and today I'm making the strawberry jam. Busy busy.

I'm also starting to stress about all the Christmas stuff. I wish I didn't get stressed about it, but I do. I thought I had all the stuff for the kids, and then they made their lists and the things I got them isn't on their lists! Then Dan wants to do the Christmas letter. I love his Christmas letters, but they are SO MUCH WORK for me. I wanted to make the kids something - some pj pants and maybe a pillow for their beds. We'll see if either of those get done. (I found this great plaid fabric this fall for $1/yard and bought 9 yards of it! - with pj pants in mind). And then there are neighbor gifts, and getting a tree, and decorating, none of which have been started or thought about yet!

Also - I've been wanting to do an advent which includes Christ. Like maybe instead of a candy per day (or in addition to) there's a scripture, or a thought about Christ, or an activity that helps to focus on him, or even a family activity. I've seen a few posts - like this one (which has links to other posts) and this one and I want to take some things from each one. If you have any ideas on that front - I'd love to hear about it.

And last but not least . . . I promised to do a giveaway. But I still haven't updated my shop yet! So I'll be doing that soon - I promise.

3 comments:

sara said...

Oh yummy cream! Here's what I would make with it:

- alfredo sauce for dinner
- ice cream
- whipped for a brownie sundae
- whipped with fruit
- chocolate mousse
- french toast (have you ever used cream or part cream in the place of the milk in french toast? It is so yummy)
- potato soup
- clam chowder

That's all I can come up with right now. I almost always have cream on hand and I use it for all kinds of stuff.

Good job on your jams - I still haven't made that peach pit jam yet and I'm not sure if I'll get around to it before Christmas! But this has served as a reminder; thanks :)

carrie said...

holy cream. um, we used it in our mashed potatoes- warmed with butter- and they were goo-ood.

Anonymous said...

Truffles, baby! Make good gifts, too...
-Juli