24 March 2010

how to patch a shirt


A few years ago I bought this adorable turtleneck for Charlie. The first time he wore it he cut 2 small holes in it with a pair of scissors. I vowed to fix it, but I wasn't sure how.

Finally, about a month ago, I figured it out. I knew I could applique some sort of animal shape (and what animal shape would be approriate for grey, red, and white stripes?) but I hadn't thought of the square background. The final shape needed to cover the holes AND the embroidered bear in the corner.

I was working with my friend Tabby on making some 1 onesies and had this aha moment. I also love the etsy seller moonmum and have been wondering how to use some of her designs on something without outright copying her. I tried to change her robot up a little, so it wasn't exactly the same. I LOVE how it turned out.

So if your 3 year old cuts your favorite striped shirt (I think each of my kids has done it) now you'll still be able to save it!

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Hey, it was nice to hear from you on my blog today. I'm sorry I don't comment too often on yours either. But, I do like to pop in every now and then to see what you're up to, and see all the awesome things you make. I don't really like to sew. I wish I lived close-by you, so you could make my kid's clothes cute when they get holes in them! And, to answer your question - yes, I must admit, girl clothes are really fun (overwhelming at first - I was really comfortable with the boy department - but I adjusted no problem!).

Andy said...

Smart thinking but I can't wait to see when it has patches all over the place!