16 January 2008

a new idea

Well, I guess it's not that new, but it's new to me.

I love vegetables with Ranch dressing. The way my mom used to get us to eat vegetables was by setting them out on the table before dinner with Ranch. I'm pretty sure I ate gobs of them that way. In the past few years I haven't eaten many vegetables, I'm not sure why because I really like them. I've been trying to change that and this is where the new idea comes in.

Even though I'd like to eat Ranch in large quantities every day, my thighs tell me that's not a good idea. So (finally getting to the new idea) I tried this recipe from the new Everyday Food. It's a white bean dip and it's great for any kind of raw vegetable you like. (I tried to get a picture and the recipe link, but I guess they don't have it up for the new issue yet). Here's the recipe:

White Bean Dip

1 can (15 oz) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
2 - 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 small garlic clove, chopped
1 tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
salt and pepper

In a food processor, combine beans, lemon juice, oil, garlic, rosemary, red-pepper flakes, and 2 Tbsp water. Process until very smooth, about 1 minute, scraping down bowl as needed, Season with salt and pepper.

The new idea is that I don't have to eat raw vegetables with Ranch, because there are a whole host of other dips which are better for me. If any of you have a healthy, alternative, vegetable dip, I'd love to have the recipe!

P.S. I also tried the salmon burgers from the new EF and they were pretty good. No one liked dill sauce, but other than that - good.

1 comment:

sara said...

Mmm, that sounds like a great idea! I don't mind veggies raw but something healthy to dip them in would be great. My kids go through so much Ranch, it's staggering. They're all still in "slim" sized jeans though so I guess I'm just glad they'll eat at least a few veggies to go with all that Ranch...